Save the Child Initiative signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Chemonics to implement the Strategic HI/AIDS response Program Task Order 1 (SHARP TO 1) Project in Illela LGA of Sokoto state. Under the project, the organization will be identifying cases of GBV/HIV/AIDS for referral to health and other social related services. During the quarter under review, the organization achieved the following.
- Commitment of Duty bearers, Gatekeepers, Staff of General Hospital and security agencies guaranteed in the successful implementation of the project in Illela LGA of Sokoto state.
- 32 survivors (Women and Girls) counselled on how to build their resilience to overcome the trauma of their experience and also learn from each other through experience sharing.
- 38 survivors knowledge strengthened on hygiene, dangers of self-medication and how to start a small scale business/trade.
- 50 community stakeholders consisting of traditional leaders, religious leaders, youth leaders, women leaders, hospital staff, local vigilante groups, Hisbah, police, officers of the Nigeria Security and Civil defense corps and NURTW, sensitized on GBV and its effect during awareness raising campaign in Illela and Garu wards of Illela LGA.
- 3 survivors benefitted from a four-day livelihood skill development training organized by Sokoto state ministry of Women Affairs and Child Development where they were supported with grinding machine and goats to start animal rearing business.
- Awareness raising and sensitization visit to key community stakeholders facilitated in the identification and reporting of cases to the organization.
- 64 cases of GBV were identified consisting of 24 sexual violence and 40 physical / emotional violence that were referred to other service providers in Illela LGA.