CALL FOR TRAINER ON CAPACITY BUILDING FOR CSOs AND YOUTHS ON ECONOMIC LITERACY AND BUDGET ACCOUNTABILITY FOR GOVERNANCE (ELBAG) ON THE EU FUNDED PROJECT: STRENGTHENING CSOS TO ENHANCE EDUCATION FOR ALL IN NORTHERN NIGERIA
Title: Consultant – call for a trainer on capacity building for CSOs and youths on economic literacy and budget accountability for governance (ELBAG).
Open Date: 18th August, 2023 Closing Date: 25th August, 2023 Duration of Assignment: one-off
Background: Save The Child Initiative (STCI) is a non-governmental voluntary organization founded on 17th October, 2001 with a mission of promoting the overall development of women, youth and children, the organization is registered with Sokoto State government on 22nd of January, 2002 and incorporated with Corporate Affairs Commission of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on the 16th of May, 2008 (CAC/IT/NO 27852).
Save the Child Initiative (STCI), Nigeria with support from PLAN International EU-INPA Project on “Strengthening Civil Society to Enhance Education for All in Northern Nigeria”. The overall objective of the project is to strengthen local CSOs as actors of good governance and empower them to contribute to inclusive, participatory, and open education policy dialogue in Nigeria.
Strengthen local CSOs as actors of good governance and empower them to contribute to inclusive, participatory and open education policy dialogue in Nigeria.
This project is aimed at enabling civil society to contribute to policy dialogues on education in Adamawa and Sokoto States. This will be achieved through the following objectives:
- Strengthening the capacity of CSOs and youths to engage with relevant stakeholders on implementing Tsangaya reformation in Sokoto and Adamawa,
- Enhancing the engagement on gender-responsive and inclusive education planning between CSOs/youths and relevant state institutions in Sokoto and Adamawa.
- Improving the capacity of local civil society partners to promote inclusive education policy dialogue and enhance strategic engagement with relevant stakeholders in Sokoto and Adamawa.
This solicitation requests the following services as follows: –
Training of CSOs and Youth on Economic and Education Budget literacy. Economic Literacy and Budget Accountability for Governance (ELBAG) is a process and methodological framework that combines organizing people, developing grassroots monitoring mechanisms, democratizing knowledge and using participatory tools and methods for building public
accountability and transparency to initiate people centered advocacy processes. It creates space where people can discuss economics and use it as an entry point to build inclusive, democratic and just governance. Using the ELBAG approach, the Consultant will conduct training for 15 CSOs and 10 youths in Sokoto States. This training will support CSOs to improve their understanding of economics, budget, accountability, evidence-based advocacy approaches, data collection and analysis. This activity is particularly relevant considering the needs assessment findings, highlighting that CSOs do not have the budget to support their advocacy plans.
Objectives of the consultancy:
- Raise awareness on Tsangaya (Almajiri system of education) reformation.
- Enlighten target groups on the need for gender-responsive and educating inclusive planning to support positive change in Sokoto and Nigeria at large.
- Build participant’s capacity that combines organizing people, developing grassroots monitoring mechanisms, democratizing knowledge and using participatory tools and methods for building public accountability and transparency to initiate people-centered advocacy processes
- To build inclusive, democratic and just governance
Scope of Work/Deliverables:
- Develop training content to be used to deliver the training.
- Develop the Methodology of the training.
- Topic to cover during the training
- Number of days of the training
- Develop a PowerPoint presentation to be used during the training.
- Submit a comprehensive report of the training including an evaluation report.
The consultant to be contracted is expected to meet the following criteria:
- Must be registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria and have relevant documents to prove existence and compliance to extant regulations (for organizations), or have the relevant status of permit to work in Nigeria (for individuals)
- Must have and demonstrate good understanding and practical experience of development work including advanced skills on facilitation and training of the target beneficiaries.
- The consultant must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in carrying out similar assignments (a portfolio of such work done in the last 2 years is required evidence).
- Demonstrate understanding on Tsangaya Education Reformation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of gender equality and social inclusion (GESI) in delivering on the assignment.
Quote Criteria/Payment Schedule
- Save The Child Initiative, Nigeria will pay a consultancy fee based upon a mutually agreeable daily consultancy rate for each of the jingles.
- The quotes submitted should include all associated expenses borne by the consultant to carry out this assignment, as no other expenses will be covered or reimbursed by STCI.
- Quotes must be submitted in Naira, as payment(s) to the contracted consultant will be made in this currency.
Method of Application:
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application with title “Consultant – Training of CSOs and Youth on Economic and Education Budget literacy.” as the email subject to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com. The application should highlight among other things:
- The consultant’s relevant experience,
- Proposed content outline.
- Work plan and quote
- Link to portfolio/materials produced within the last 2 years that are relevant to this request.
- CV of candidates (for individuals) or candidates’ representatives (for organizations) as an attachment.
- Reference letters from 2 individuals/organizations you have a working relationship with, and can speak on your capacity (sent as an annex to the application)
- The application should be a maximum of 4 A4-sized pages, excluding annexes.
N/B: At the core of our work and culture is the promotion of rights of marginalized groups, as well as embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion. It is on this note that we encourage applications from application from individuals and organizations who share in this principle, and/or have a personal story that reflects why this principle should be promoted.